Tech Product Evaluator at XDA
This position will operate on a remote, freelance basis.
Our team at XDA-Developers.com is looking for writers with a passion for the best tech gear, related services, accessories and add-ons that help people optimize their devices and get more value from their tech purchases.
This commerce-focused contributor will write a variety of articles, including quick stories answering questions about specifications or configurations, common purchase considerations, or product limitations, comparisons to similar devices (at varying lengths and detail), and eventually, product reviews, evaluations, and recommendations.
The writer will receive products to research and evaluate for more in-depth assignments or reviews (all products must eventually be returned to Valnet). Those assignments will come in the form of “bundles,” with multiple assignments related to a product or set of products they’ll focus on evaluating. Price per assignment bundle will vary depending on the product and the number of assignments.
Necessary expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- Smartphones and related accessories
- Wearables (watches and fitness)
- Laptops and related peripherals
- Earbuds and headphones
- Mobile gaming gear
- Smart home devices
- Reliably produce content and meet assigned deadlines (to receive products for evaluation, candidates must commit to a certain number of related assignments and deliver them on deadline)
- Coordinate with the editorial team for assignments and feedback
- Input work into our CMS using specific article templates
- Find and format images
- Follow strict formatting guidelines
- Evaluate and answer questions about the delivered products
- Create detailed comparisons of similar products based on one’s own experience and online research - spotlighting their strength and weaknesses
- Research products online using manufacturer websites and newsrooms, as well as product reviews on third-party retailers such as Amazon.com or Newegg.com
- Cover Letter (tell us why you want to write for us!)
- 2-3 tech articles you've written that demonstrate your writing abilities (Commerce articles preferred - Buyer’s Guides & Reviews)
Applicants must have a self-starter attitude and possess the following requirements
- Relevant experience in writing and editing technology content
- Real-world product review experience
- Passion for testing tech to find the best (and worst) things about devices
- Comfortable using a non-basic CMS
- Attention to detail in regards to accuracy of information and formatting
- Basic understanding of modern online e-commerce content is a plus
- Basic SEO knowledge
- Proficient in researching products online, using manufacturer websites and newsrooms, as well as product reviews on third-party retailers, such as Amazon.com or Newegg.com
- Understanding of proper attribution of information cited in stories is also a must
The hiring team at Android Police will be back to you as soon as possible if we think you'd make a solid addition to the team. Only applications containing relevant writing samples will be considered.