Mobile Section Editor at XDA
This position will operate on a remote, freelance basis. Candidates must reside in the U.S.
Are you an experienced editor with a passion for everything mobile?
XDA is looking for a Mobile Section Editor (Full-Time). The XDA team is constantly scouring the Internet for the latest mobile news, sharing tips, tricks, tutorials, videos, and podcasts, reviewing devices, apps, and games, and keeping track of custom ROMs and hacks.
About the job
The Mobile Section Editor covers all mobile technology including smartphones, wearables, and tablets, and focuses on the largest, most popular companies and brands in this space. The ideal candidate has established relationships with these companies including Samsung, Apple, Amazon, Google, OnePlus, and Motorola. The ideal candidate for this position has a deep knowledge of each company’s presence in the mobile space and a passion for mobile technology and consumer electronics.
This role involves leading the mobile coverage for XDA. You'll work with the EiC to decide what to cover, where to dedicate our resources, which events are worth attending, and how many other people we need to support these efforts. You'll need to be comfortable planning in advance as well as making split-section decisions in an instant as needed.
Applicants for this position must have a broad base of knowledge in mobile and wearable technology. While you might prefer Android to iOS, or vice versa, you should be deeply familiar with all key products that make up the mobile beat: Smartphones, tablets, wearables, and all of the associated apps, and software that work with them. You'll also be expected to have a deep knowledge of all the carriers in the US market.
This is a remote role that can be based anywhere in the US but you must be based in the US to apply and be willing to travel regularly (both domestically and internationally) as we return to 2019 levels of in-person meetings and industry events. You will also need
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the mobile section.
- Fielding news and editorial pitches.
- Ensuring deadlines are met.
- Writing reviews and attending events for mobile devices.
- Managing freelancers for reviews and other content as needed.
- Working with the Editor in Chief and Managing Editor to advance the overall mission of XDA.
- Enforce the style guide and other content requirements.
- Help us standardize reviews with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key companies to ensure timely coverage.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Write informed product reviews, thoughtful analyses, and pointed opinion pieces.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Cover Letter (tell us why you’d be a good fit!)
- Links to your portfolio or previous work on a tech site
- 3+ years experience in an editorial position, focusing on consumer electronics; history in a mobile-focused role is a plus.
- A deep passion and knowledge of consumer electronics including wearables and mobile technology.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
Applicants must have a self-starter attitude and possess the following requirements
- Relevant experience in editing in the English language
- Expert knowledge of technology products
- Comfortable using a non-basic CMS
- Full-time availability
- Must reside in the U.S. for ease of sending review devices and attending events
The hiring team at XDA will be back to you as soon as possible if we think you'd make a solid addition to the team. Only applications containing relevant editing experience in tech will be considered.